Why become a member? ×

Active Bass -> Outboard Preamp -> Amp

knicknack

Hi All,

I'm currently playing an active bass - but I'm not quite getting the tone/sound I want out of it. I have an outboard preamp on order (possibly for a different bass), and I was thinking of running the bass through this before sticking it into the Active input channel to see if the outboard pre gives me the tone I want. If I like the sound, will it damage the amp at all? Also, is this process normal?!

Ultimately I am considering replacing the current active EQ and p/ups in the bass to something else, but I simply don't have the time or money for such a project at the moment. I just wondered what your thoughts are on an Active setup into an outboard pre and then the amp?

Cheers

[quote name='knicknack' post='1014708' date='Nov 6 2010, 08:02 PM']Hi All,

I'm currently playing an active bass - but I'm not quite getting the tone/sound I want out of it. I have an outboard preamp on order (possibly for a different bass), and I was thinking of running the bass through this before sticking it into the Active input channel to see if the outboard pre gives me the tone I want. If I like the sound, will it damage the amp at all? Also, is this process normal?!

Ultimately I am considering replacing the current active EQ and p/ups in the bass to something else, but I simply don't have the time or money for such a project at the moment. I just wondered what your thoughts are on an Active setup into an outboard pre and then the amp?

Cheers[/quote]

Running an active preamp into another active preamp is only normal insofar as your bass amp has an active preamp in it.

I've never tried doing what you are suggesting but I'd say that daisy chaining two active preamps together and then feeding that into the preamp of your bass amp is going to result in some rather nasty distortion at best.

If it was me doing it, I wouldn't :)